AVEENO® frequently asked questions
What range of AVEENO® should I be using?
Is your skin feeling dry?
All the products in the AVEENO® Daily Moisturising range (green) are formulated with oats or oat extracts in order to moisturise and protect normal to dry skin. Key products include the AVEENO® Daily Moisturising Body Lotion, which helps reinforce the skin’s natural barrier, and the AVEENO® Daily Moisturising Body Wash which gently cleanses without drying and leaves the skin feeling moisturised.
Very dry and irritable skin?
The AVEENO® Skin Relief Range (blue) is specifically formulated to moisturise and cleanse very dry, irritable skin. From the AVEENO® Skin Relief Moisturising Lotion to the AVEENO® Skin Relief Moisturising Hand Cream, the range has everything you need to help maintain healthy looking skin all day long.
Very dry itchy, also eczema prone skin?
The AVEENO® Dermexa Range (light blue) is formulated with a Prebiotic Oat Complex and the added benefits of ceramides. The range soothes and protects very dry itchy or even eczema prone skin. The range includes products such as the AVEENO® Dermexa Daily Emollient Cream, and the AVEENO® Dermexa Daily Emollient Body Wash.
For dry and sensitive skin, the AVEENO® Cream is formulated with Colloidal Oatmeal and actively moisturises the skin, leaving it feeling comfortable, soft and smooth. The AVEENO® Lotion, also formulated with active Colloidal Oatmeal, provides a prolonged soothing action for dry and sensitive skin.
What are some good tips for skin care for dry skin?
Your skin draws moisture from the environment, your diet and your skincare routine. The water content of the outermost layer of your skin (the epidermis) also tends to reflect the level of humidity around it, so following the same skincare routine year-round may not be working when the humidity drops. Here are a few simple ways to keep your skin hydrated and combat dry, itchy skin:
- Limit time in the shower or bath, we recommend 5-10 minutes.
- Moisturise immediately after washing. This gives the highest chance of trapping existing moisture in your skin.
- Using a humidifier will help add much-needed moisture to the air.
- Choosing fabrics such as cotton and silk, that will allow your skin to breathe.
- Make sure to include lots of healthy fats like fish, walnuts, olive oil and avocados in your diet, as well as drinking lots of water.
What are the skincare benefits of oat?
AVEENO® harnesses the power of the oat through many ways:
- Oat Extract/Oat Essence (liquid produced from the oat plant) is naturally rich in Avenanthramides, which are known for their soothing and potent antioxidant properties.
- Colloidal Oatmeal (a powder produced by the fine grinding of oats) has moisturising properties that help prevent water loss from the skin.
- Oat Oil (a liquid extracted from oat grain) is naturally rich in lipids which are essential components for a proper functioning skin barrier.
Is AVEENO® suitable for eczema-prone skin?
Our Dermexa Range is formulated for very dry itchy skin, and is also suitable for eczema- prone skin.
What are prebiotics and probiotics?
Although they sound pretty similar, probiotics and prebiotics are two vastly different things with specific functions. Probiotics are living microorganisms that are found both naturally in your body and in food and supplements. When consumed or applied to the skin, they provide a wealth of positive benefits for the body, including:
- Promoting good gut health
- Strengthening skin overall
Prebiotics on the other hand aren’t actually alive. They are non-digestible ingredients that help to nourish the good bacteria in your gut or on your skin and balance the microbiome.
When probiotics and prebiotics are combined, whether that be in skin cream or in foods, they join forces to become what’s known as a synbiotic. Common synbiotics include supplements, additives and certain foods like yoghurt and cheese
Can I use AVEENO® on my baby?
AVEENO® have an exclusive baby range! Make sure to check them out.
What is the skin microbiome?
Your skin’s microbiome is the collective name for the ecosystem of tiny microorganisms that live on and beneath the surface of your skin. It’s made up of a diverse range of different organisms playing different roles, including:
- Bacteria – A variety of microscopic organisms which can be both potentially harmful and beneficial to the health of your skin
- Fungi – Microbes that can be harmful or helpful, a heavy build-up can cause fungal infections
- Mites – Insect-like microorganisms, invisible to the human eye, that can cause irritation in large numbers
- Viruses – Microscopic molecules that, if allowed to multiply, can cause infection or illness on the skin
It's understood that a balanced and well-tended skin-microbiome acts effectively as an invisible barrier to protect your skin from diseases and supports a healthier immune system.